[Cloud] May Face-to-Face Slide drafts

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Fri May 10 16:55:31 UTC 2013

WSDL V2.0 adds HTTP verbs to the specification and *could* be used to describe a REST service, although I think WSDL is still far too verbose for what we need.

There's also WADL (developed at Sun), which is much easier to write than WSDL.

Personally, I think we would get more traction with developers if we focus as much attention on REST as any other definition.

I think there are at least  3 reasons I can see to focus on a REST/JSON approach:

1. Seems to work for Google, but more to the point, some cloud print implementations may have a "connector" or interface to Google Cloud Print, which is REST/JSON based

2. There are other APIs that are primarily REST-based that will probably be needed by cloud print modules, such as OpenID and OAUTH 2, and these implementations can just make use of the same RPC facilities

3.  It's easier to implement REST than SOAP, and we don't need all the SOAP baggage to realize our services.

Randy

On May 10, 2013, at 9:39 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Randy,
>
> I believe the resistance to a normative REST implementation was due to the issues common in interoperability between REST implementations (no schema that defines them, they are "informal"...)
>

> On May 10, 2013, at 9:33 AM, Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> I guess I overlooked this in my previous review of this document, but the charter uses the phrase "informative REST" -- It would have been nice to make the REST mapping the primary, and the soap binding secondary, as I believe this would make implementation and proliferation of our cloud imaging solution more likely.
>>
>> Randy
>>

>> On May 10, 2013, at 8:59 AM, "William A Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The PWG  Steering Committee has approved the revised Cloud WG Charter, which is now posted at:
>>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/charter/ch-cloud-charter-20130510.pdf.
>>>
>>> The Plenary and Session slides for the May 14 and May 15 meetings have been updated and  are posted at :
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/slides/Cloud-WG-Plenary-May-2013.pdf
>>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/slides/Cloud-WG-Plenary-May-2013.pptx
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/slides/Cloud-WG-Meeting-May-2013.pdf
>>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/slides/Cloud-WG-Meeting-May-2013.pptx
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bill Wagner
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --