[IPP] Using ipp sample code to model infra structure printing

Rizzo, Christopher Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com
Mon Feb 1 03:53:00 UTC 2021

Hi Gang,

Apologies for not attending recent meetings, just been swamped with work.

I’m trying to comprehend using the ippsample code on Github (via https://istopwg.github.io/ippsample/)

My expectation is that I should be able to run ippserver as an INFRA printer, and use ippproxy (PROXY) to interface between INFRA and my local printer (LOCAL).

Hence if I use ipptool as in IPP client to send a Create-Job/Send-Document to the INFRA printer, the running PROXY will ‘fetch’ the job from INFRA and send it to LOCAL.

Using Wireshark I am able to see Create-Printer-Subscriptions, Update-Output-Device-Attributes and Get-Notifications requests from PROXY to INFRA, but not seeing ‘job-fetchable’ events from INFRA or Get-Jobs coming from PROXY

Here are my command lines (INFRA and PROXY both running on Ubuntu Linux (tesla.local. at 192.168.1.20), LOCAL printer-uri is ipp://192.168.1.40/ipp/print):

// Start INFRA printer on tesla Linux machine, printer-uri = ipp://tesla:8000/ipp/print
ippserver -v “ipp-infra-printer”

// Start PROXY on tesla Linux machine.
ippproxy -v -d ipp://192.168.1.40/ipp/print ipp://tesla:8000/ipp/print

ippfind ipp-infra-printer
ipp://tesla:8000/ipp/print

I then send a Create-Job/Send-Document requests to INFRA at ipp://tesla:8000/ipp/print successfully.

But there are no job-fetchable events coming from INFRA and no Get-Jobs, Fetch-Job requests coming from PROXY to get that job and send it to LOCAL.

Is it possible to do this and if so why is it not working?

Thanks,
Chris