MFD> overall MFD considerations

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 20:43:36 EST 2008

Greetings,

At the October face-to-face, we had what I believe was a useful overview
discussion of the interfaces to the various MFD services.  I think that,
although modeling a conceptual MFD service by service is a practical way to
approach this task, there is the possibility of losing  or distorting (or
never having) an overall perspective.  I have redrawn the interfaces
diagram,  provided some text, attempted a generalization of the terminology,
and  taken a cut at a generalized ticket life diagram. These are posted at
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/white/MFD_Outline_Nov_00.doc.

I have noticed some roughness in the Scan Service Terminology (I think Glen
mentioned it) and a typeo:

“CrossFeed direction This is the direction perpendicular to the movement of
the Hard Copy

Document or light bar of the scanner. For scanners that use a

technology other that a light bar, this is the direction along which the

image data is acquired most slowly. (See also Fast Scan direction, X

and §7.1.4) This direction is sometimes referred to as XFeed

direction.”

I expect  the cross-feed is the direction along which the image data is
acquired most rapidly.

Also, although I thought I understood the ScanJobTicket Lifecycle diagram
(Fig 5 in the Scan Service Spec), when Pete explained it, I admit that I
found it confusing when I tried to extrapolate a generalized JobTicket
diagram, particularly when also looking at earlier versions and at the
Multifunction Device Overview diagram  (fig 1) in the current spec. If this
looks OK to everyone else, I will figure it out.

I would appreciate comments on the MFD Outline white paper
whether “it’s a
waste of time” or “ it’s a useful document” or whatever is appropriate in
between.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner