WIMS> When are counters reset, if ever?

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Aug 14 15:44:35 EDT 2007

Hi Rick,

The Counter MIB (and Abstract Spec) define the persistence of counters
as lifetime(3), powerOn(4), or reset(5).  But it does not further qualify the
flavor of reset (factory defaults, service/accounting, board replacement).
Note that the 'lifetime' comment says 'since last install' (board replacement).

I personally believe that counters should have a REQUIRED persistence
of lifetime and that it should be permitted (as in Counter MIB) to have a
second instance of the counters that has a 'reset' persistence (especially
for accounting applications).

So my answer to your question below is B/C/D and your missing 'powerOn'.

My two cents - give the customers whatever they want.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434