WIMS> When are counters reset, if ever?

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Wed Aug 15 14:02:35 EDT 2007

Actually, the Counter spec goes beyond the definitions of the levels of
persistence.  It states (in Section 5.1.3)

Conforming Imaging Systems MUST implement System Totals counters with
Lifetime persistence. Conforming Imaging Systems SHOULD implement
specific Service counters with Lifetime persistence.

I agree that "since installation" covers the case of board replacment.
And "Reset" does specifically mention "administrative reset of imaging
counter (e.g., a software reset by an accounting application)" so that
includes the more serious case of restoring factory defaults.  But not
for lifetime.

So we have an idea what future devices should do, sort of.  I was hoping
to get a read of what known devices actually do.  The "lifetime"
counters in printers were defined and implemented long before the
Counter spec was drafted,    Are these "lifetime" counters reset ever,
for instance when factory defaults are restored?  Does anyone have
experience with this, even by spec, for existing devices?

For some of the counters, such as overall age of the device, number of
power-on cycles, and like that, I would prefer to specify the
persistence rather than leave it up to the manufacturer.

Thanks, all, for the hints and any additional guidance you can give.

rick