IFX Mail Archive: Re: Fwd: RE: Question on FaxConnect Results..

Re: Fwd: RE: Question on FaxConnect Results..

Dan Wing (dwing@cisco.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:39:28 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:12:39 -0600, Richard Shockey wrote:

> Everyone might be interested in this thread from the IFAX list ...I was
> trying to clarify the status of the fax "watermark" in IFAX transactions.
>
> In GSTN the _sender_ inserts this into the TIFF incoded image.

Nit: In GSTN fax there is no TIFF encoded image.

Actually, in GSTN fax, the sender inserts a watermark onto transmitted
pages.

In IPP the sender is already identified, so I don't believe an
IFX-compliant sender needs to incur the overhead of generating a per-page
watermark -- other mechanisms exist in IPP (and SMTP for the ifax case) to
identify the IFX sender.

Not to mention that multiple hops, each identifying themselves by
slightly occluding the top of each page cause degradation -- something
that need not occur (and is not expected by users to occur) with digital
documents and digital transmission.

-Dan Wing