IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> Media-Ready [and is IPPFAX a Devi

RE: IFX> Media-Ready [and is IPPFAX a Device Protocol or an Electronic Document Exchange Protocol?]

From: Wagner,William (WWagner@NetSilicon.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 20:40:16 EDT

    Although I have no strong feelings on this, I recall several thoughts from "the early days" of this activity. Granted that much has happened since and these ideas may no longer be germain, some vestage may explain why the medi-ready requirement existed.

    1. It was called QualDocs, not FAX. It was not intended to replicate facsimile, but was to implement peoples perception of FAX (a reliable, secure, sure way to "send a document over the wire" ) without the defficiencies of existing FAX ( speed, quality, flexibility). The fact that traditional fax is not necesarily reliable nor secure nor sure did not mean that QualDocs could have the same problems. The notion was that FAX was well established and prevalent and that there would need to be a compelling advanage to QualDocs for it to be accepted.

    2. The "sure" perception was that as an input sheet is being scanned in the scanner, a facsimile of that sheet is comming out of the receiver. This perception would be addressed by determining whether there was proper media ready, and signalling when the last sheet was correctly printed. Presumably, if the tranmission would be stored rather than printed, the user would be notified, would have the option of cancelling and would have the option to ask for an asynchronous notification when the document was printed.

    Bill Wagner