IPP Mail Archive: IPP> IPP over other transports

IPP> IPP over other transports

From: henrik.holst@i-data.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 04:42:25 EDT

    A last IPP meeting, I can see you discussed the topic 'IPP over other
    transports'
    and that Paul Moore metioned the infrared transport. In i-data we are working on
    the new wireless technoligy BlueTooth. I think in a few years you will not
    anymore
    see the use of infrared soulutions anymore, but it will be BlueTooth. Ericsson,
    Nokia
    and the PDU's are going to implement BlueTooth in their products. In i-data we
    are working on a LAN profile to Bluetooth as well as on a Printing Profile. Our
    solution for printing over Bluetooth will be to use IPP over WAP. WAP is
    implemented
    in some mobil phones today, and will be widely spread by the years. WAP looks
    like
    a lot like HTTP. So I think it would be interesting to run IPP on the top of
    WAP. You
    would then be able to print from your PDA or mobil phone.

    Henrik