IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> notification methods

Re: IPP> notification methods

From: kugler@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 15:09:41 EDT

    Jay-

    I'm using the word "server" in its classic TCP/IP sense. From
    Internetworking with Tcp/ip, Volume 1, by Comer, Douglas E:

         The term SERVER applies to any program that offers a service that can
    be reached over the network.
    Servers accept requests that arrive over the network, perform their
    service, and return the result to the requester...

         A server starts execution before interaction begins and (usually)
    continues to accept requests and send responses without ever terminating. A
    client is any program that makes a request and awaits a response...

         A server waits for requests at a well-known port that has been
    reserved for the service it offers. A client allocates an arbitrary,
    unused, nonreserved port for its communication...

         Servers are usually more difficult to build than clients because, even
    though they can be implemented with application level programs, servers
    must enforce all the access and protection policies of the computer system
    on which they run, and they must protect themselves against all possible
    errors.

    The INDP "user agent" (possibly part of an IPP "client" application) is
    actually a HTTP/TCP/IP server.

         -Carl

    Jay Martin <jkm@underscore.com> on 08/04/2000 12:15:16 PM

    Please respond to jkm@underscore.com