IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> last call comment on Override doc

RE: IPP> last call comment on Override document

From: Herriot, Robert (Robert.Herriot@pahv.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 22:21:49 EST

    You asked me to provide examples of why I wanted to change four attributes
    in the document-overrides and page-overrides from rangeOfInteger to 1setOf
    rangeOfInteger. The four attributes are input-documents, output-documents,
    document-copies and pages.

    The mapping from JDF to IPP without the proposed changes is still easy. It
    just may be more verbose than if the proposed changes were in effect.

    For example, suppose a job needs a special media on 20 pages where none are
    consecutive.

    In JDF the override would consist of the specified media and the value of
    the pages attribute would be the 20 integers, expressed as 20 ranges.

    In IPP (without the change), the override would consist of 20 separate
    collection values. Each collection value would contain the specified media
    and the value of the pages attribute would be one of the 20 integers,
    expressed as a range. In IPP with the proposed change, the override would be
    like the one in JDF.

    One could argue that IPP doesn't need this change because this case is
    extremely rare. But there may be another reason -- consistency. In IPP we
    have been inconsistent about how we represent the abstract notion of a set
    of integers. We represent this concept in any of the following ways:
        a) 1setOf integer
        b) rangeOfInteger
        c) 1setOf rangeOfInteger
        d) 1setOf(integer | rangeOfInteger)

    Each of these solutions is really a representation of a set of integers
    optimized for or limited to the expected values. Solution d) is the most
    compact. Solution c) is the next most compact and is simpler than d). So
    that is why c) is a good proposal for all sets of integers.

    Bob Herriot