IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Short Notes from IETF 53

IPP> Short Notes from IETF 53

From: Carl (carl@manros.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 20:09:23 EST

    Hi,

    I am back after the IETF 53 meeting. A few personal observations until you
    get the better notes from Lee later:

    1) The IETF management wants to keep the riff-raff out and are selecting
    meeting places that are unattractive, like Minneapolis in March. Hence less
    than 1,500 people this time, which probably means that they will have to
    raise the conference price further (from $425 this time) when they go to
    Yokohama in July :-(

    2) I was obviously checking with people about job chances, but it seems that
    almost no companies are hiring at present, unless you can program in C++ and
    Java and don't want too much salary.

    3) We had a total of 5 people coming to the IPP meeting. Fortunately that
    included my note taker Lee Farrell, our Area Director Ned Freed, and one of
    the chairs from the IETF FAX WG Claudio Allocchio, so we got a few things
    done.

    4) Remaining tasks before we can fold up the WG:
            a) Respond to IESG comments on Notifications, including selecting one
    delivery method as mandatory.
            b) Dig out earlier AD comments on the IPP URL draft, to check if they were
    done.
            c) Get our final Implementer's Guide version out.

    5) All IPP WG draft must be published as RFCs (or abandoned) before we can
    close the WG, but the chances now look pretty good unless WE start dragging
    our feet.

    I include a picture from the IPP Meeting as attachment.

    Carl-Uno

    Carl-Uno Manros
    10701 S Eastern Ave #1117
    Henderson, NV 89052, USA