MFD> Scan Service Requirement Doc Questions

From: Petrie, Glen (glen.petrie@eitc.epson.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2008 - 14:42:21 EST

    Hello All,

    I have the following questions and/or concerns about the latest Scan Service
    Requirements document.

    "Network Scan Service use Cases and Requirements" January 31, 2008.

    Comments beyond typo and editing corrections

    1. The current definition for the term "Scan Document" does not
    actually state is contains the scanned digital document itself. It states
    that it contains the "Scan Document Information".

    a. If this is true, then the term "Digital Document" definition
    becomes; "The digitized data of the Hardcopy Document."
    b. If this is true, then the term "Scan Document Data" definition
    becomes:"The digitized data of the Hardcopy Document. This term is used
    interchangeable with Digital Document throughout this document."

    2. The term "Template Manager Service" has contained in its definition
    the wording " ... the interfaces for creating, ...maintaining" . I need
    clarification of the terms "interfaces", "creating" and "maintaining". Does
    the word "interfaces" mean the Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or
    does it mean the user (gui/line-commands/etc) interfaces; I believe it is
    means APIs but which is the intent? The word creating has the same
    implication of a GUI or user-interface. However, it may have meant "to
    create a new template". I would contend that the "Template Manager Service"
    would provide the services of store and retrieve only. To create a new
    template, the Scan Client would get an existing template or the default
    template by a retrieve command to the "Template Manager Service"; the user
    would modify the retrieve template; the Scan Client would then request the
    "Template Manager Service" to store the modified template under a new name.
    Thus, the "Template Manager Service" only performs store and retrieve. As
    for the word "maintaining", what does this mean? What is being
    "maintained"?
    3. In the definition for "Scan Job Receipt", is the lower-case word
    "element" meant to be the "XML term" "Element". If not, I would suggest
    changing the word "element" to remove ambiguity with the XML term "Element".
    Would the word "attribute" be better? If the term "element" means
    "Element", then it needs to be capitalized.
    4. Should the term "Scan Service Discovery" be added to section 3.2 as
    term?
    5. For Use Case 2:

    a. I admit to being confused at this point. I thought we were going
    to eliminate the first paragraph of the use-case. I though this was going
    to be simple use-case of "Walk up Scanning using an existing Scan Job
    Template" and not "Walk up Scanning using a pre-defined Scan Job Template".
    Thus, if this is the former case, the first paragraph can be removed. The
    discussion we had over the phone was that an IT-department would restrict
    the user by having a scan client that would not allow restricted fields to
    be set.
    b. The word "boundaries" should be changed, since in scanning
    boundaries will imply the physical scanning area and not boundaries (in
    pages) between documents.
    c. This use-case has what I call "Implied Requirements" or "Inferred
    Requirements" that can not be directly identified by the use-case or the
    processing steps. For example, Design Req: 2.6 "Must Honor" is not even
    hinted at in the use-case or the processing steps but this does seem to be
    the use-case to include it. (We could expand the pervious use-case to
    discuss these kinds of details.) What I would suggest and have done in my
    own work is to have a requirements section called "Implied Requirement" as a
    separate section of the design requirements. These requirements that are
    not directly identifiable by the use-case but are "under the covers" or that
    "must be included" to make the use-case be functional. Therefore I would
    like to suggest the following document modification

    6.2.2 Requirements

       6.2.2.1 Precondition Requirements

                   Precondition Req: 2.1 The Scan Client SHALL use the Scan
    Service Directory requirements of section 6.7

       6.2.2.2 Design Requirements

    6.2.2.3 Implied Requirements

    Implied Req: 2.1 The Scan Service SHALL support a "Must Honor"

    More later...

    Glen