PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Last Call Observations [question about 'broken'

Re: PMP> Last Call Observations [question about 'broken'

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:20:29 PST

A Xerox implementor was asking me today about the subunit status bits
that the Appendix E says should indicate "Unavailable because Broken"
with is a code of 3 in the prtInputSubunitStatus.

This code is indicated for the printer states: Jam, Cover/Door Open,
Input Tray Missing, Output Tray Missing, Output Tray Full, Marker Supply
Missing, Marker Supply Empty.

We were wondering why we didn't use "Unavailable and OnRequest"
which is a code of 1 for something that requires human attention, but
is not broken? See 2.2.13.2.2. The end of section 2.2.13.2.2 does
give the example of input tray jammed and indicates that unvailable
because broken (3) is to be used.

Thanks,
Tom

When a tray is actually