PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: Print MIB 09

PMP> RE: Print MIB 09

From: McDonald, Ira (IMcDonald@crt.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 11:43:32 EST

    Hi Juergen,

    This is a tough question. For six years now every Xerox product has
    shipped with 'prtAlertIndex' at 'read-only' to preserve the content
    of the notification. I have seen this done at several other printer
    vendors. To date, there is no identified shipping implementation
    that leaves 'prtAlertIndex' at 'not-accessible' (that was only one
    of several compile errors in the RFC 1759 text - I've never seen a
    compiler that would accept RFC 1759 unmodified, but I suppose it's
    possible).

    Our WG concensus to change the published version to 'read-only' is
    in order to align with all known shipping implementations (who all
    did it by hand-edit themselves).

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox
      High North