UPD Mail Archive: UPD> preconfigured drivers

UPD> preconfigured drivers

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 16:42:59 EDT

    I know that many printer manufacturers are looking for a chance to help
    their customers with preconfigurations of drivers.
    That's mainly something requested by supervisors and network administrators.
    These people are typically driver and installation experts. So they would
    like to prepare a customer specific configuration, which all end-users in
    that company would use when installing that driver.

    It would not be too difficult adding an optional key like "Preconfiguration"
    to each feature (independent from any locale), which would fulfil exactly
    that request.
    Do you think these supervisors and administrators would feel comfortable
    adding an XML keyword for each setting, which they want to differ from the
    printer manufacturers default setting or does that sound unreasonable?
    They normally (if we do not prepare something extra for that or printer
    manufacturers provide that on their site) would not have the DTD file for
    validation. So there is some danger to mess it up. On the other hand a
    standard XML editor is quite simple to use.

    Tell me your opinion.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade

    Oak Technology, Inc.