UPD Mail Archive: UPD> DTD editing

UPD> DTD editing

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 17:43:29 EDT

    I want to remind you of a trick to smoothly edit a dtd file.

    We have the master dtd (updf.dtd), which has references to some include dtd files.
    That's working fine when you work in your XML editor.

    When working on a single dtd file with your dtd editor, which is included in the master dtd, you have to add the OptionalDummyElementForExternalEntities to your dtd to avoid errors, while you want to see all the entities.
    This is normally done only in the master dtd.

    I attach my current version of an include dtd for demonstration. You'll find the three special entries right at the beginning of the file. I like using a simple DOS editor for these temporary changes.

    This is especially important for all developers planning to work on sample implementations. Contact me, if this is confusing to you.
    In XML including other dtd is not fully supported. There is no syntax like in 'C': if already included, ignore. Otherwise we could include the entities in every include dtd. It is important to understand this detail.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade