UPD Mail Archive: UPD> UPDF dtd to XML schema conversion

UPD> UPDF dtd to XML schema conversion

From: Norbert Schade (norbertschade@oaktech.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 15:50:18 EDT

    I've done the initial work (hopefully a little more than that).
    Using my new 'Turbo XML' application, a product following my previous XML Authority (so I could update), I now can create and edit XML based on dtd as well as any other XML schema dialect.
    We have selected the 'XML Schema definition' dialect, which results in file extensions 'xsd.

    Although the conversion was suppose to work more or less automatically by using the new app, there was a lot of manual work to do. We especially lost all ENTITY information of the dtd.
    However I could finish it on a level, which is no more viewing any errors and everything looks fine, when I open the XML files.
    Of course that is not reliable. So I am asking for help. Please download the files from our web site. I have renamed
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/XML_Samples to
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/XML_Samples_based_on_DTD (ignore the last underscores).
    There are two new directories under
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/upd/Current_Version/.
    They are called "XML Schemas" and "XML Samples based on schemas". These hold our new files.
    The XML files are very similar to the old ones, based on dtd - as it should be.
    The schemas look a little different and there may be some reserves we are not yet using right after the conversion. That's ok.
    I don't know whether all the parsers you are using support schemas. Let me know.

    This is an important step and has been required by some people. Now we line up with other standards in the printing industry.
    I made a few changes during the conversion, which I'll send you in a separate email.

    We keep the process open until next week Wednesday, August 15th. If there is no serious comment against the conversion by then, it will be decided the official format for UPDF.
    We are not doing any structural changes unless this is finished. The old files will not be deleted soon to have a reference.

    Regards
    Norbert Schade
    Principle Software Engineer
    Host Software Group