[MFD] SS&E settings in a PJT

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:44:39 UTC 2012

Hi Glen,

Augmenting Pete's excellent reply.

There is a first-class Subscription object in IPP and the
PWG Semantic Model.

The user/client can subscribe to specific notifications at
the time of job creation (which I think you seemed to be
implying?).

The details are in RFC 3995 "IPP: Event Notifications
and Subscriptions".

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Zehler, Peter <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>wrote:

> Glen,****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m a bit confused by your “print and go” scenario.  The user selects the
> photo(s) to be printed and presses ”print to cloud”.  The Print Client
> issues a “CreatePrintJob”, SendPrintDocument * N, and a “ClosePrintJob”.
> When the “ClosePrintJob” response is complete, the user can turn off the
> phone.  (By the way, what difference does the behavior of the print service
> make to a phone that is turned off?)****
>
> ** **
>
> We already have a collection for “SS&E”.  It is called “JobSummary”
> (PrintJobSummaryType).  It is obtained in response to “GetActivePrintJobs”
> and “GetPrintJobHistory”.   If the user wants information on a specific job
> then the Print Client can use those operations and discard unrequired
> information.  Alternatively the Print Client can issue a
> “GetPrintJobElements” operation to get the “PrintJobStatus” for the
> specific job and present the appropriate information to the user.****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m not very clear on your last paragraph either.  The user can either
> send the document (“SendPrintDocument”) or a reference to the document
> (“SendPrintUri”).  In the case of the former the document is sent
> regardless of the Job state.  In the case of the latter is an
> implementation decision when the document is dereferenced and downloaded.
> Exposure of print content is just as much an issue when the document
> resides at a referenced location, on the wire, in a cloud “job pool”, at a
> print proxy, at a print device or as the final printed media resting in an
> output bin.  I don’t see the benefit given the added complexity of the
> flag.  We do have constructs already in place (e.g., HoldPrintJob, job
> passwords, document encryption, TLS, P2600) to address document
> privacy/protection/security.****
>
> ** **
>
> Pete****
>
> ** **