XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> Suggested rationale for the present

RE: XP> Suggested rationale for the presentation module

From: Jun Fujisawa (fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 09:16:09 EST

    Jim,

    At 2:46 PM -0500 03.1.7, BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
    >How about this wording?
    >
    >"The Presentation module, section 5.4.1 of [XHTMLMOD] is supported
    >since it allows a very simple user agent to support font variants.
    >The module contains elements that are both structural and presentational,
    >provides the only method for specifying rules (the hr element), and
    >allows very simple clients that might not support CSS the means for
    >identifying font variants such as bold and italic. This module also
    >contains the structural mark up commands for superscripts and subscripts
    >that allow simple clients to identify and format these construct without
    >CSS properties. Supporting this module allows a client to render these
    >common elements in a manner that appropriate for its capabilities."

    I'm happy with this wording. Having said that, I still have some
    uncomfortable feelings for having Presentation module and making CSS
    support mandatory at the same time.

    At 2:36 PM -0500 03.1.7, ElliottBradshaw@oaktech.com wrote:
    >Don said "simple client". I think he was allowing a client program to be
    >very naive about formatting, and using the presentation module as a
    >convenience. It seems that a complying printer has to implement the other
    >stuff regardless.

    I think Presentation module is as equally useful to "simple printer" as
    to "simple client". If we have Presentation module, why not allowing
    the use of XHTML-Print by itself (separating from CSS-Print) with
    the help of simple formatting specification provided by Presentation
    module?

    --
    Jun Fujisawa
    <mailto:fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp>